With cell phones, computers and television in a child’s life, exercise is more important than ever before. Because of all the new-found technology, it is a lot more difficult to get children active. It is vital for a child to get into the habit of eating healthy and to exercise. If the child learns at an early age to habitually exercise and have the right diet, it will show later on as an adult. With that stated, it can be difficult to encourage children to get active and eat right, but no need to fear; here are some tips to get your children healthy and happy.
Exercise can be fun
- It is so easy for a child’s mind to interpret exercise as a chore and not a fun activity, which is why it is important to show him how it can be enjoyable. There are so many alternatives to exercise than to just plain old working out in a gym.
- Sports: Many children get their exercise from playing a sport. Sports such as basketball, soccer, baseball and football offer an abundance of exercise with a benefit of amusement and fun. Even non-mainstream sports such as kickball, dodge-ball and tag are a great way for a child to get an amazing workout while still having a good time.
- Video games: Yes, believe it or not, video games can actually provide your child with a good amount of exercise, depending on the game of course. Fitness games such as Wii Sports and Wii Fitness offer an amazing amount of entertaining exercises, keeping your child fit and happy.
A healthy diet can taste good
- Probably the toughest issue to deal with when it comes to promoting health for your child is getting him to eat a well-balanced diet. You need to show your child that healthy food does not mean nasty food. Some ways to get your child eating healthy are:
- Cook his favorite meal using healthy alternatives. This can be easily done. For example, if your child loves spaghetti and meatballs, instead of just using breadcrumbs and ground beef to make the meatballs, put some spinach in the meatballs giving them a delicious and healthy taste. Also use some nutritious toppings like mushrooms and tomatoes. Using whole wheat noodles is another way to create a healthier meal with the household favorite.
- Packing a healthier lunch for your child will promote healthy meal choices. Instead of giving him an allowance for school food, you can pack him his very own healthy lunch.
- No more fast food! Places like McDonalds not only promote an unhealthy lifestyle, but they attract children to fatty unhealthy foods.
It is essential for your child to start eating healthy and exercising to become a healthy adult. Obesity is the number one growing problem in America and will only slow down if we start teaching children how to be healthy.